Time to get a little more sports-specific. Even though I’m starting with cycling, you don’t have to be a cyclist to do these workouts. The basic idea can be adapted for an elliptical, stair-climber, treadmill, or any other cardio machine. In my cycling classes about half of the participants do ride outside, but the other half either like the workout, the benefits, or both. Try it! You’ll like it!
I’m including the playlists because the music is much of what makes cycling fun.
Best of 2K Playlist/Workout, approx 1 hour:
1. Somebody that I Used to Know: Warm up, gradually increase resistance while keeping fast/race pace
2. Suddenly I See: Seated intervals of Light resistance fast pace, On chorus increase to med/heavy resistance for standing runs
3. The Edge of Glory: Seated intervals of Medium resistance build to fast, faster, fastest pace for about 30 seconds each as music builds
4. I Like It: Heavy resistance for seated Rolling Hills, Light resistance sprints down on chorus
5. Too Close: Seated Climb, start with medium resistance and increase resistance each minute (4 times)
6. Feel This Moment: Intervals of Heavy Seated, Heavy Standing, Light sprint seated (during instrumental sections)
7. Finally Found You: Maintain medium to heavy resistance and vary pace with surges last 20 seconds of each minute
8. Disturbia: Heavy resistance for intervals of Standing (climbing stance), Standing (Hover stance), Seated (back in saddle) while maintaining consistent pace
9. Wake Me Up When it’s all Over: Race Pace Tempo ride
10. Moves Like Jagger: Hover jumps – barely out of saddle for fixed number of counts, then sit for same number of counts
11. I Will Wait: Light resistance seated interval sprints vary duration of each
12. Holiday: Hard Heavy Seated Climb, maintain consistent pace throughout
13. 50 Ways to Say Goodbye: Heavy resistance for standing Rolling Hills, Light resistance seated sprints down on chorus
14. Firework: Seated Climb, Add resistance every minute, increase pace last 30 seconds of each minute
15. Home: Gradual Cool Down
16. I’m a Believer: Continue cool down and stretch
Saturday was Football Game Day, so I took the day off from planned exercise. I did do lots of walking around and cheering!
Breakfast: Huge plate of Scrambled eggs and mixed fruit at the hotel
Lunch: Reunion tailgate, Barbecued pork – huge helping, vinegar cole slaw – huge helping, a tiny bit of mac & cheese (about 1/4 cup because I couldn’t resist)
Supper: Decided to drive home and eat a little late to avoid eating out. Clam linguine with gluten-free pasta – see picture. I ate the whole thing myself!
Snacks: Banana and yogurt I kept from breakfast
Beverages: Managed to drink most of my water (about 60 ounces). Had a large diet coke at the game for the souvenir cup